Sunday 11 September 2016

The importance of English

The importance of English 

English is the most commonly used language around the world. It helps us to communicate with people be it in engineering, business or any other aspect. As an engineering student, I use English to help me innovate new products be it in a team or as an individual. For example, writing formal emails improves communication amongst my team members when doing a certain project, thus preventing miscommunication.

English language can also be a barrier when communicating with foreigners. A prime example would be Japan as their forte is engineering. When i visited Japan in 2013, I had difficulty communicating with the people there as they were not exposed to speaking in English since young. Thus, I faced difficulty when communicating with them. As a result, I had to speak in a simpler English language such that its easier for them to understand. Moreover, as an individual who has grown up learning English, I may also face some language barriers as my language is poor and sometimes not correctly used.

However, English can also be used as a tool to teach individuals skills used in their everyday life. A very good example would be math. Math is used in everywhere in our daily life be it to purchase food from the market or calculating your monthly income. Therefore, the English medium would be appropriate to allow students in understanding math easily, aiding them in their daily calculations. Math also helps me understand few of the modules I am studying in SIT such as Mechanics or Engineering Mathematics. It helps me to visualise the problem and thus, solving it.

Since English is the most commonly used language, it can help me to further improve my knowledge with regards to my own personal interest and create more engineering opportunities in the world.

Post updated on 15/9
Post updated on 20/9
Commented on Fazira post on 15/9
Commented on Frankie Savior post on 17/09

No comments:

Post a Comment